Multi-Step Word Problems

Sunday, February 10, 2019
 
Are you like most teachers who dread teaching two-step word problems? Are you confused about how to get your students to understand what to do and when? I was too! I tried CUBES, BUCKS and every mnemonic known for solving word problems until it dawned on me that they only apply to certain problems. Then I found my own solution and it has worked for me since then.

There are steps to solving two-step word problems:

1.) They have to understand the keywords and how to write expressions.

2.) They have to know which operation to do first.

3.) Which operation to do next.

4.) How to answer the question.

I begin approaching this standard, which for me is 3.OA.8 solving multi-step word problems using four operations, with understanding and evaluation expressions and how to write equations. The point is they have to know how to set up the problem without me telling them which operation to do.


We spend a day or so with me guiding and reviewing this process. Many will get it if they understand keywords. That's great! If they still don't understand key words then using a day or two to make sure they understand expressions is key.




After I teach/review expressions I put these cards into a station for them to practice on their own. Continued practice helps.

Next, I introduce two-step word problems by simply following steps. I teach my student that CUBES will not help you solve the problem. CUBES will only help you solve a sentence, which is generally one step. I use this anchor chart to model what I'm telling them. I teach them that we learned a period means for us to stop. So in multi-step word problems, the period means to stop and solve. Each sentence is generally a step that you must solve. The number of sentences usually indicates how many steps you will need. Lastly, I answer the question using the numbers from the steps.


After I model, I take my students through guided practice. We use my standard guided practice sheet to practice a few problems together before they practice on their own. Here is where I walk them through a few problems to solve with me or a partner.


Task cards and more independent practice is provided. However, having them to underline the steps and solve as they go has been key to their understanding of how to solve two-step word problems.

These products are what I use for continued practice. Click the images to take you to the link.



No comments